80% of June 3 disaster victims compensated – AMA Featured

File photo: June 3 disaster victims File photo: June 3 disaster victims

The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA)  has said it has paid GHc10,000 each to 80 percent of the victims of the June 3, 2015 fire and flood disaster. These persons were among the hundreds injured after an explosion at a GOIL fuel station at the  Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Accra, which killed more than 150 persons.

The Head of Communications of the AMA, Gilbert Nii Ankrah told Citi News that the assembly’s Chief Executive Officer was in touch with the rest of the victims.
 
“The GHc 10,000 was given to each. So far I can tell you that the majority of them we have on our books, clearly received that amount of money. About 80 percent of them received the money.”
 
“There are some of them who also need medical attention and that is what we are looking at dealing with the whole issue holistically. So plans have been put in place. The mayor has assured them that he is going to meet them in the coming weeks to still dialogue with them and then find ways and means of dealing with the issue.”
 
 
 
 
Call for probe
 
Some victims of the disaster have been vocal about the delay in support for them.
 
The called for the Special Prosecutor to investigate persons tasked to release funds to victims of the accident.
 
Their request followed a suit filed against the former Metropolitan Chief Executive of the AMA, Alfred Oko Vanderpuijiee and two others over the disaster.
 
Other defendants in the suit are Ghana Oil Company Limited, the Accra Metropolitan Assembly and the National Petroleum Authority.
 
 
The 69 plaintiffs, most of whom are victims of the disaster are accusing the defendants of negligence, leading to the accident and are seeking GH¢40 million in compensation.The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA)  has said it has paid GHc10,000 each to 80 percent of the victims of the June 3, 2015 fire and flood disaster.
 
These persons were among the hundreds injured after an explosion at a GOIL fuel station at the  Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Accra, which killed more than 150 persons.
 
The Head of Communications of the AMA, Gilbert Nii Ankrah told Citi News that the assembly’s Chief Executive Officer was in touch with the rest of the victims.
 
“The GHc 10,000 was given to each. So far I can tell you that the majority of them we have on our books, clearly received that amount of money. About 80 percent of them received the money.”
 
“There are some of them who also need medical attention and that is what we are looking at dealing with the whole issue holistically. So plans have been put in place. The mayor has assured them that he is going to meet them in the coming weeks to still dialogue with them and then find ways and means of dealing with the issue.”
 
 
 
Call for probe
 
Some victims of the disaster have been vocal about the delay in support for them.
 
The called for the Special Prosecutor to investigate persons tasked to release funds to victims of the accident.
 
Their request followed a suit filed against the former Metropolitan Chief Executive of the AMA, Alfred Oko Vanderpuijiee and two others over the disaster.
 
Other defendants in the suit are Ghana Oil Company Limited, the Accra Metropolitan Assembly and the National Petroleum Authority.
 
The 69 plaintiffs, most of whom are victims of the disaster are accusing the defendants of negligence, leading to the accident and are seeking GH¢40 million in compensation.
 
 
Source: Citinewsroom.com
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Nakadif

Broadcast Technologist,  BusinessMan, Deejay, Presenter, Publicist, Graphic And Website Designer. Call Or WhatsApp +233242112153

Website: www.nakadifgroup.com

 

 

 

 

ABOUT US

DarlNews.Com Is A Full Functional Portal For Entertainment, Sports, Business, Technology, General, Education And World News.Get The Latest News From The Whole World Quickly.

CONTACTS

www.DarlNews.Com, P. O. Box 3607, Accra, Ghana.
t: +233202923265 | e: info@darlnews.com